Where can I get identification?
ONE OBSTACLE FOR THE FORMERLY INCARCERATED IS THE LACK OF VALID AND ACCEPTABLE FORMS OF IDENTIFICATION. IN ORDER TO SECURE EMPLOYMENT, HOUSING, OR APPLY FOR PUBLIC BENEFITS AN INDIVIDUAL MUST PRESENT A CURRENT, VALID FORM OF IDENTIFICATION. THE LACK OF SUCH IDENTIFICATION CAN PRESENT A MAJOR BARRIER TO SUCCESSFUL REENTRY.
To apply for Louisiana identification card, you must visit a Louisiana Office of Motor Vehicles (OMV) in person and bring the following:
- A completed application available at an OMV office.
- A primary document proving your identity, such as:
- Original or certified copy of birth certificate.
- U.S. passport.
- Permanent resident card.
- A secondary documents proving your identity, such as:
- Out-of-state driver's license or ID card.
- Louisiana college ID card.
- Health insurance card.
- Your Social Security number (SSN), if you are 15 to 26 years old, a male, a U.S. citizen or permanent resident.
- Payment for your ID card fee (if you're under 60 years old, it will cost you $21; if you're 60 years old or older, your new or replacement Louisiana ID card will be free)